housing of apparatus and equipment came with the first organization of
Delaware's Fire protection in 1834. The space needed in the beginning was
small but soon grew.
First mention of Fire Department, June 17th nothing accomplished.
Home of Henry Moore, Captain #1 District north of Winter Street. One
Home of Ed Potter, Captain #2 District south of Winter Street. One hand
Southwest corner of William and Sandusky Streets.
Northwest corner of Central Avenue and North Franklin St.
1846 West end of the Market House in the center of West William Street about 20 feet west of S. Sandusky Street. This location was used to house the new Hunneman hand engine and hook and ladder.
New brick structure built at Franklin and North (Central Ave.) Streets.
New brick structure built at S. Washington St. and Hill (University
Ave.) Street. This is the same land on which the present station is located (1991). Cost $1,500.
1868 New structure built for east side at the southeast corner of Lake S t. and E. Central A venue. Cost $3,300.
Old City Hall was constructed with three bay fire station facing S.
Sandusky Street (destroyed by fire in 1934). At this point
all fire equipment housed under one roof.
Old City Hall built
in 1882 with a three bay fire station, which opened out onto S. Sandusky St.
This building was used until Feb. 24, 1934 when it was destroyed by fire
East side station built on Potter Street. A two-family residence
located on the property facing E. Central at the corner of Potter
Street. The two firemen assigned to the station were required to live in this
residence. Horse drawn hook and ladder and hose reel operated from this station. Cost of construction $3,767.
This building is still standing and used by the
American Ambulance Co. for emergency responses.
two fire station built in 1908 on Potter St. on the east side of Delaware. It
consisted of a one bay station and was used to house a horse-drawn
ladder/chemical wagon. This station was abandoned in 1924 to bring all
equipment to the City Hall station. This building is still standing on Potter
St. and is used by the American Ambulance Co.
Potter St. station abandoned with all apparatus and equipment
transferred to the City Hall station. This resulted in the last
horse drawn piece of equipment being abandoned.
City Hall destroyed by fire, February, 1934.
1934 First temporary station in Paul B. White's garage
at 17 W. William St. This is presently the site of Office
1934 - 37 Second temporary station was in the Erlay Hatchery
Building, 27 Spring St., presently occupied by Delaware Motive
Auto parts business.
New City Hall (present City Hall) completed on the site of the Old City
Hall which had been destroyed by fire three years to the day of occupancy. A
two-bay fire station, with living quarters above. Cost of entire building
1972 New Central Fire Station completed on S. Liberty St. between University Avenue and Park Ave. Building was occupied Jan. 29, 1972. It contains 13,000 sq. feet with four drive through bays and two single bays -for Chief's car and Emergency Squad. Cost $340,000.
New City Hall (present
location) was constructed in Feb. 24, 1937 with a two bay fire station and
living quarters in it.