Fire trumpets were used in the
early days for the chief officers to shout orders to the firemen at the scene of
a fire. The department still has three of the original trumpets in its
possession. One is engraved "Chief Engineer -Delaware Fire Dep't,"
another is engraved, " Ass't. Engineer -Delaware Fire Dep't." and the
third trumpet is engraved, "Rough & Ready Hook and Ladder Co."
They are made of nickel and silver. Council minutes in 1868 indicate that
approval was given to purchase two such trumpets for the "Chief Engineer
and Ass't. Engineer" for $24.00 each from the Adam Price abd. Co., 20 John
Street, New York City. Attempts were made to trace these trumpets by writing the
International Silver Co. in Meriden, Connecticut since one trumpet had a Meriden
trademark on it. The company was able to confirm that all three trumpets were
made in the 1860's. The Meriden Britannia Co. had been the predecessor of the
International Silver Co. These trumpets and the confirmed information provide
valuable heritage to the Delaware Fire Department.